The Historic Sardis Cemetery is located adjacent to Sardis Methodist Church on Powers Ferry Road in Atlanta's Buckhead community and is the resting place of many of Buckhead's Pioneers. Their headstones carry names like Rolader, Collier, Howell, Holcombe, Mayson, Plaster, Ivey, Irby, Cheshire, Mathieson and Donaldson.
A Brief History of the Sardis Cemetery:
- The cemetery once was known as Shady Oaks and features a variety of markers ranging from simple fieldstones to more elaborate marble and granite monuments.
- Abraham N. Clarady is reputed to be the first person to be buried at Sardis Cemetery in 1869, and is also the earliest recorded internment.
- The Donaldson Mausoleum is the only above ground vault on the property. It was built in 1878 and stands prominently at the front of the cemetery.
- It appears from deed records that most of the current cemetery property was deeded to the Trustees of Sardis Methodist Church by Silas H. Donaldson in 1888 and 1894.
- In 1975, the Sardis Cemetery Association independently incorporated to preserve the cemetery through a perpetual care arrangement. Sardis Cemetery is independently operated and funded by donations.
ALL inquiries & donations should be directed to:
SARDIS CEMETERY ASSOCIATION
PO BOX 1683
DULUTH GA 30096-3117
For more information about the cemetery or to view a list of graves and a map, please visit